Thursday, April 12, 2012

Egg Retrieval Update

Today was my ER and I am thrilled to report that we got 23 eggs! I am a little nervous about the maturity levels as I was coasting for three days waiting for my E2 to drop and the sizes were all over the place, but... I said I wanted 20 and I got 23 so I am pleased.

My mom spent the night with me last night so she could take me to the surgery center this morning. We got there a little before 6 and actually had to wait for them to come open the doors. I was the only ER on the schedule for the day so I had the entire staff working on me. Everyone was wonderful!

I filled out some paperwork and signed a bunch of consent forms - mostly about how I would like any frozen embryos dispositioned in various different circumstances. I gave a urine same to confirm the presence of my HCG trigger and they took me back to the waiting area. The nurse who put in my IV was amazing. I have a tiny little pinhole and no bruising. It didn't even hurt. The anesthesiologist came in to chat for a few minutes and wow - he was gorgeous. The nurses had warned me that he was super-hot, but DAMN! My RE came in to say good morning and then they took me back. Two nurses and the anesthesiologist wheeled me back to the OR. They were very chatty and made me very comfortable. I noticed my IV starting to burn and when I looked at my hand, the nurse noticed and told me it was the medicine. Next thing I know, I am waking up in recovery.

I woke to a smiling anesthesiologist and smiling nurses who were so excited to tell me they got 23 eggs. My RE came in to check on me after he went to talk to my mom and he was excited too. They kept me in recovery for about 30 minutes and then I was up and able to go home. I had a tiny bit of bleeding but it stopped before I even left the surgery center.

Mom stopped and got me bagels from Cyndi's Deli ( I ate two!) and then I came home and parked it on the couch for the rest of the day. Mom did an excellent job taking care of me all day - heating up my heat pack, bringing me food and Gatorade when I needed it, hard boiling eggs for me and picking up BBQ for dinner.

Mom even successfully gave me my first PIO injection and it went very smoothly. I feel like I might be able to do it myself, but at least I know mom can. She is not thrilled about it, but she did it!

I am still pretty crampy. I feel like my insides have been through the wringer - which they probably have. I am hoping I feel better tomorrow. I need a few days of normalcy before  embryo transfer and I go back on bed-rest.

I am expecting a phone call Friday afternoon from the embryologist with the fertilization report. That's the next big hurdle. Then embryo transfer should be on Monday (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment